7.07.2007

Little feet

You’re going to be a father
she whispered into the phone
lips barely moving although
realizing the pure joy of bearing us a child
my 19yr old hands gripped the phone tighter
trying to hide the nervous laughter
fixing my eyebrows in the rear view mirror
trying to look cool
trying to be suave
looking at the people around my car
they had no idea
that overnight
I had become a superstar
my summer fling
became the real thing
lust turned to love
unprotected feelings
the woman on the line had changed her mind
gave our seed a chance to grow
In the womb of destiny
my idea was to show
her, my love
my family
my hang – on’s
my friends
my self
that I could be a father
to a son or a daughter
even with no daddy training from my past
flash
to reality
hang up the phone
drop off
my friends
speed off
to where my girl was staying
rushed in the door
laid her on the floor
rested my head on her abdomen
to be close to her, my love
and the new home of my offspring
my
heart
beats
her
heart
beats
now
our
heart
beats
to the pitter patter of little feet